Helen and Teacher

Helen and Teacher
The Story of my Life

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Storms and a Good Sentiment and a Reader Challenge

We've just survived a barrage of storms, and have been without power; just restored. I suffered real anxiety, an inheritance from my mom and payback, because I used to tease her about it. Terrible pressure headache, and I have to be up in an hour and one half. But, here is a bit of fun from the Borrough's Publishing Newsletter: It’s June. I’m in my office. Outside is a clear day. The sky is blue, the sun is beating down, warm and beneficent rather than oppressive, and just down the street I know there’s a park full of kids laughing and playing. A bit south there’s another park, this one on the river. Ample Hills is there, a widely acclaimed ice cream stand that sells a flavor called burnt caramel, an icy, salty, sweet confection that almost burns your tongue, refreshing and overpowering in the very same instant. Kids are hurling themselves around a gated patchwork of volcanic fountains, shrieking and giggling atop these watery eruptions, and adjacent is Swing Valley, where tots of all ages see just how high they can fly. Can they see the Hudson? The shrieks of happiness, parents and children, are everywhere. Did I mention I’m in my office? People read to escape. If you’re not finding every possible way to tantalize their senses, to provide experiences they can’t achieve themselves, you’re doing them a disservice. They say write what you know. Here’s an idea: Know more. Because the more unique and sensuous the details you provide, the better the escape. Reading your stuff will just be more fun. So, why do you read? What are your favorite summer memories connected with reading? What are your memories of storms and surviving them? Write down five things you remember about the storm, or five books that were memorable summer reads and a few notes why, and let me know by adding comments to my blog@ With your permission, I'll publish some of the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment