Helen and Teacher

Helen and Teacher
The Story of my Life

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Brief Kon Tiki Memories

Sunday Morning featured a story on two new Scandinavian sailor/explorers reprising the voyage of Kon Tiki, the brain child of Thor Heyerdahl, who in 1947, wanted to prove that inhabitants of then Polynesia could have drifted on a raft from Peru to their new home.  He sailed with 4 others on a 45 ' raft, 4300 miles, with a sale that had a Peruvian mask painted on it.  I read the original book in 5th grade, and thus became fascinated with all things Heyerdahl.  I was actively maintaining acquariums, and my love of sea and water was all consuming.  Kon Tiki and The Ra Expeditions seemed to combine all things I loved, and fuled the sense of adventure I had then.  We traveled all the time, by plan and car, and once in  while, took a train ride.  I was ready to go at any time, and my parents were young and healthy, so for the three of us, the world was our oyster, or at least our Ra expedition!

There will be a new film; I can't wait to  see it, and will find the old documentary on NetFlix or Youtube if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment