Helen and Teacher

Helen and Teacher
The Story of my Life

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

From Deeper than Dead; Mothers and Daughters, Gender-Free, and The Error World

For all who have lost a beloved parent, see below. Not quite a memoir, but it should be:

Deeper than Dead, by Tami Hoag:

"Her mother had always been her sounding board, her voice of reason, her best friend.  . . " (26).  She goes on to say her her father put her mother on a pedestal in public,and belittled her in private.  The whole passage reminded me of Sylvia Plath, and other things. 

For those who love collecting, especially stamps, I recommend Simon Garfield's memoir, The Error World; An Affair with Stamps. I've had a collection since I was ten, and my dad and uncle had one before me that I inherited.  I've kept it up, and traded and made friends, but I guess I'm more casual in the lives of people as hard core as Mr. Garfield.  This is also a memoir of passion and obsession; the use of "affair" is no accident.  His prose and story are riveting, and fascinate you, even if you don't collect a thing.

An interesting review in the NY Times Review of books, Sept. 4, is a review of Justin Vivian  Bond's memoir Gender Free, about a transichild growing up during teh AIDS crises.

No comments:

Post a Comment